KALUA CHAR SUI PULLED PORK SLIDERS WITH PINEAPPLE CHUTNEY AND TROPICAL SLAW
IngredientsServes about 18 pulled pork sliders and 2 cups (500 ml) Pineapple Chutney
1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
½ tbsp (7 ml) mustard seeds
½ tbsp (7 ml) black onion seeds (nigella)
½ tsp (2 ml) turmeric
1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into ½-in (1.25 cm) dice, OR 2 x 14 oz (398 ml) cans diced pineapple, well drained
½ tsp (7 ml) salt
1 red Thai chili, seeded and minced
1-in (2.5 cm) piece ginger root, finely chopped
⅓ cup (75 ml) light brown sugar
½ cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
KALUA CHAR SUI PULLED PORK:
¼ cup (60 ml) hoisin sauce
¼ cup (125 ml) pineapple juice
3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
2 tbsp (30 ml) liquid honey
1 tsp (5 ml) sesame oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) finely minced ginger root
½ tbsp (7 ml) finely minced garlic
1 tbsp (15 ml) Liquid Smoke hickory flavour, optional
1 tbsp (15 ml) sambal oelek or Sriracha Sauce
½ tsp (2 ml) Chinese five spice powder
3 lbs (1½ kg) pork shoulder or butt
2 cups (500 ml) finely chopped red cabbage
½ red bell pepper, finely diced
3 tbsp (45 ml) finely chopped red onion
1 rib celery, finely diced
2 green onions, finely sliced
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro
½ cup (125 ml) ¼-in (0.5 cm) finely diced mango
½ cup (125 ml) ¼-in (0.5 cm) finely diced pineapple
3 tbsp (45 ml) mayonnaise
1 tbsp (15 ml) cider vinegar
1 tbsp (15 ml) pineapple juice
1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
18 soft dinner rolls
2 lbs (1 kg) cassava
2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
3 tbsp (45 ml) canola oil
- To make PINEAPPLE CHUTNEY: Heat canola oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add red onion, mustard seeds, onion seeds and turmeric. Cook a couple minutes until fragrant then add pineapple, salt, Thai chili, ginger, brown sugar and cider vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, with lid ajar, for 30 to 45 minutes or until dark golden and thick. Pour into a sterilized jar and allow to cool before covering. Refrigerate.
- For PULLED PORK: Mix hoisin sauce, pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger root, garlic, liquid smoke, sambal oelek and five spice together. Place pork in a slow cooker. Pour half the marinade over top, reserving remaining marinade. Cover and cook on high for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is tender and can be shredded with a fork.
- Alternatively, place pork on a large double sheet of foil. Pour half the marinade on top. Fold and wrap well, sealing completely. Bake in a preheated 350 F (180 C) oven for 4 to 5 hours, or until meat is tender and can be pulled apart with a fork.
- Remove pork from slow cooker, trim excess fat and shred pork. Mix in remaining marinade sauce and any excess juices from the slow cooker. Keep warm.
- To make TROPICAL SLAW: In a large bowl, combine chopped red cabbage, red pepper, red onion, celery, green onion, cilantro, mango and pineapple.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise with cider vinegar, pineapple juice and Dijon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to slaw and toss until well mixed. Chill for 15 minutes.
- To serve, split the dinner rolls. Add a dollop of Pineapple Chutney and a portion of the shredded kalua pork. Top with a generous portion of slaw. Add bun top.
- To make CASSAVA CHIPS: Trim ends from cassava and then cut it in half. Make a shallow cut in the skin and gradually work the knife under it to remove the skin.
- Cut cassava into long, narrow, thin strips, about ½-in (1.25 cm) thick. Rinse and place in a deep saucepan along with sugar and salt. Fill with enough water just to cover cassava.
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside. Bring cassava to a boil and cook on medium heat until fork tender. Do not overcook. Drain and allow to cool.
- Place cassava in a large bowl and toss with canola oil until well coated. Spread in a single layer onto foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly brown, turning once halfway. For extra crispy chips, these can be deep fried in a deep fryer in canola oil at 400 F (200 C) until golden and crisp.