KOREAN SHORT RIBS WITH PICKLED PEARS
1½ tbsp (22 ml) grapeseed oil
2 lbs (1 kg) bone-in beef short ribs
pepper, to taste
3 garlic cloves, minced
1½ tsp (7.5 ml) minced fresh ginger
½ cup (125 ml) mirin
2 tbsp (30 ml) Gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
¼ cup (60 ml) low-sodium soy sauce
¾ cup (175 ml) pear juice
½ cup + 2 tbsp (155 ml) water, divided
1 tbsp (15 ml) toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) dark brown sugar
2 tbsp (30 ml) unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
2 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced, for garnish
rice, as per package directions, to serve
1 cup (250 ml) dry, hard pear cider
1 cup (250 ml) white wine vinegar
6 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
1 tbsp (15 ml) kosher salt
3 cups (750 ml) water
6 firm Bosc pears, peeled
- Place oven rack in lower third of oven then preheat to 325 F (170 C).
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil. Season short ribs generously with pepper before searing on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer browned beef to a plate and set aside/
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic and ginger, stirring constantly, until browned, about 2 minutes. Add mirin and with a wooden spoon scrape up any browned bits from pan. Stir in Gochujang, soy sauce, pear juice, ½ cup (125 ml) water, sesame oil, sugar and vinegar. Bring to a simmer. Place beef in sauce, cover and transfer to oven. Braise, turning beef once about half way through cooking time, until beef is fork-tender, about 3½ hours.
- Transfer beef to a platter and skim as much fat as possible from braising liquid. Adjust seasoning as required. If too concentrated, dilute with more water or pear juice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) water and cornstarch.
- Return Dutch oven to stove over high heat and bring mixture to a boil. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and cook until sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Serve short ribs with Pickled Pears over rice, drizzle with sauce and garnish with green onions.
- To make PICKLED PEARS: In a medium saucepan over high heat, place all ingredients except pears and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, add pears and cover with a round of parchment paper. Simmer pears, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and set aside allowing pears to cool to room temperature in pickling liquid. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container in pickling liquid for up to 1 week. Makes 6 pickled pears