LEMON AND ROSEMARY ROASTED CHICKEN WITH NEW POTATOES
¾ lb (340 g) small new potatoes, halved
3 tsp (15 ml) salt, divided
1 tbsp (15 ml) rosemary leaves + 2 to 3 fresh sprigs, divided
6 to 8 garlic cloves, 1 smashed, the rest unpeeled, divided
1 pinch red pepper chili flakes
juice of 2 lemons, divided, halves reserved
3 tbsp (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on, 6 to 8 oz (180 to 250 g) each
- Preheat oven to 450 F (230 C).
- In a saucepan, place potatoes and cover with cold water. Add 1 tsp (5 ml) salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until fork-tender, 6 to 8 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Gather 1 tbsp (15 ml) rosemary leaves, 1 clove smashed garlic, remaining salt and chili flakes. Mince and mash into a paste using a large knife. Transfer paste to large mixing bowl and add juice of 1 lemon and 2 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil. Mix until well blended. Add chicken and mix well to coat.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large castiron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, cover and cook until skin browns, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken; add potatoes and remaining garlic cloves, and drizzle with juice of remaining lemon and any remaining marinade.
- Add rosemary sprigs and squeezed lemon halves to skillet, transfer to oven and roast, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through and skin is crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.