8 large lemons, equal size and shapes
3 large eggs, separated
½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar, divided
2 tbsp (30 ml) all-purpose flour
icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Trim bottom end from lemons so they sit level. Cut off stem end a third of the way down from each lemon, making cut parallel with bottom. Reserve top for serving.
- Hold a lemon above a sieve set over a bowl. Using a small paring knife, cut around inside of lemon, between pith and pulp. Scoop out pulp using a soup spoon. Squeeze juice from pulp and reserve. Repeat with remaining lemons. Place emptied out lemons on prepared baking sheet. Note: if pith is thick, trim down so no thicker than ⅛-in (3 mm).
- In a heatproof bowl, combine egg yolks, ¼ cup (60 ml) granulated sugar, ¼ cup (60 ml) of the reserved lemon juice and the flour. Using an electric hand mixer, beat mixture on high speed until pale yellow, about 6 minutes. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water. Mix constantly until custard consistency, about 4 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and continue beating until cooled, about 5 minutes. Strain through a sieve into a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- In a separate heatproof bowl, combine egg whites and remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water and mix with hand mixer until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to touch, about 1 minute. Remove bowl from heat and beat on low until frothy. Gradually increase speed to maximum and beat until meringue is shiny and holds soft peaks, 2 to 3 minutes, do not overbeat.
- Whisk a third of meringue into yolk mixture. Then gently fold in remaining meringue using a large spatula. Fill prepared lemon shells with mixture to just below rim and return to baking sheet.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake until tops are slightly golden and soufflés have risen about ½-in (1.25 cm) above each shell, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, dust with icing sugar. Transfer to serving plates and serve immediately.