LION’S HEAD MEATBALLS
1 lb (500 g) lean ground pork
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp (15 ml) peeled and minced ginger root
1 tbsp (15 ml) minced shallot
2 tbsp (30 ml) Chinese cooking wine
3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
1 tsp (5 ml) each, salt and pepper
2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame oil
1 head Napa cabbage, cut into 3-in (8 cm) slices
½ cup (125 ml) chicken stock
2 tbsp (30 ml) oyster sauce
1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- In a large bowl, combine pork, garlic, ginger, shallot, cooking wine, soy sauce, salt, pepper, sugar and sesame oil. Stir to blended. It will be quite sticky. Shape into 8 meatballs and set aside.
- Spread out cabbage in a large heavybottomed saucepan. Nestle meatballs in cabbage.
- In a small bowl, mix chicken stock and oyster sauce and pour into saucepan with cabbage. Cover with lid and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked all the way through.
- Remove meatballs and cabbage from pan and place onto a platter, with cabbage underneath meatballs (leave pan juices in pan).
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water to blend. Then whisk into pan juices.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir until thickened. Pour sauce over meatballs and serve.