MEZCAL PRAWN TACOS
1 small white onion
3 tbsp (45 ml) white wine vinegar
3 tbsp (45 ml) water
2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) salt, plus extra to taste
36 peeled and deveined prawns, dried well with a paper towel
2 tbsp (30 ml) mezcal (or use reposado tequila)
1 tsp (5 ml) cumin
1 tsp (5 ml) honey
½ cup (125 ml) crema (or sour cream)
1 tbsp (15 ml) chilies in adobo, chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
3 limes, divided
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) chunks
1 handful cilantro leaves
¼ small red cabbage, thinly shaved
1 jalapeño or serrano chili, thinly sliced
12 corn tortillas, warmed according to package instructions
- To make pickled onions, thinly slice half the onion, chop remaining onion and set aside for later. In a jar, mix vinegar, water, sugar and salt until sugar and salt have dissolved. Add sliced onions to liquid and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 5 days.
- To make mezcal prawns, in a medium bowl, mix prawns, mezcal, cumin, honey and salt to taste. Let marinate in refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix crema and chilies. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add ½ tbsp (7.5 ml) olive oil and half the prawns and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until opaque all the way through, flipping halfway through cooking. Transfer to a platter. Cook remaining prawns, then toss with juice of 1 lime. Quarter remaining limes.
- To assemble tacos, place 3 prawns per tortilla, top with prepared toppings: avocado, cilantro, cabbage, jalapeños, crema mixture and pickled onions.