MINI BAKED ALASKAS
1 x 6-in (15 cm) vanilla sponge or pound cake
2 x 16 oz tubs (2 x 500 g) vanilla ice cream, softened
¼ cup (60 ml) cherry jam, divided
½ cup (125 ml) bourbon cherries, or canned cherries
4 egg whites
1 cup (250 ml) white sugar
- Cut sponge cake horizontally into ¼-in (0.5 cm) slices. Cut rounds out of slices the same size as the opening of a silicon muffin mould. Set aside.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the softened ice cream with half of the cherry jam and 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the bourbon the cherries were packed in (omit if using canned cherries).
- Fill the muffin moulds with the cherry ice cream, leaving ½-in (1.25 cm) space at the top. Put 3 cherries in each muffin mould and push into ice cream. Top each muffin mould with a cake round. Freeze overnight or longer.
- To make MERINGUE: Make the meringue just before serving. In a glass or metal bowl, mix egg whites and sugar. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and heat until sugar has mainly dissolved and egg whites are slightly warm. Stir egg whites while heating so they don’t cook.
- Transfer egg white mixture to bowl of mixer. Whip with the whip attachment until stiff peaks form.
- Turn out ice cream from the muffin moulds. Cover each ice cream cake with about ¼ cup (60 ml) of meringue. Use a knife or an offset spatula to create peaks all over the cakes. Brown with a blowtorch until lightly browned all over and serve immediately.