MISO MUSSELS WITH TOGARASHI-DASHI MARINATED TURNIPS
TOGARASHI-DASHI MARINATED TURNIPS:
8 cups (2 L) water
½ tbsp (7 ml) dried Bonito flakes
½ tbsp (7 ml) Kombu, dried seaweed
4 fresh lemons, zest and juice
⅔ cup + 2 tsp (160 ml) tamari sauce
¼ cup (60 ml) each mirin ( Japanese rice wine) and liquid honey
2 cups (500 ml) baby turnips, halved
6 tbsp (90 ml) sesame oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) togarashi spice, to taste
¼ cup (60 ml) cilantro leaves
¼ cup (60 ml) sesame seeds
1 lb (500 g) mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded discarding any that remain open when tapped
1¼ cups (310 ml) white wine
¾ cup + 2 tbsp (200 ml) whipping cream
¾ cup + 2 tbsp (200 ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ cup (60 ml) blonde miso paste
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- To make TOGARASHI-DASHI MARINATED TURNIPS: To make dashi, place water in a medium-sized saucepan with Bonito flakes and Kombu. Bring to boil, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool and for flavours to marinate.
- Strain dashi and return to saucepan. Whisk in lemon zest and juice, tamari, mirin and honey. Bring to a gentle boil. Add turnips and cook over medium-high heat, with lid ajar, for 20 minutes or until tender when pierced and flavour is absorbed from dashi. Cooking time will vary depending on size of turnips.
- Remove turnips from liquid and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with sesame oil and toss to coat. Season with togarishi spice according to taste. Cover and set aside.
- To make MISO MUSSELS: Preheat a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. When very hot, add mussels to the dry pan. Immediately pour wine over the mussels. It will boil rapidly. Cover and cook for 1 minute.
- As soon as mussels open, remove from the heat. Using tongs, remove mussels from hot liquid to a separate bowl. Save liquid. Discard any mussels that remain closed. You can leave mussels in their open shells or remove the shells and discard.
- Place saved liquid in a smaller saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until reduced to about ¼ cup (60 ml). Whisk in cream. Return to a boil and continue cooking until reduced by half. Whisk in butter and miso paste. Add lemon juice and adjust to taste.
- To serve, plate Miso Mussels with turnips, and garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds.