MUSHROOM AND CABBAGE DUMPLINGS
IngredientsServes 16 Dumplings
3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
2 tbsp (30 ml) rice wine vinegar
1 tsp (5 ml) chili oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
½ tsp (2 ml) fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
½ tsp (2 ml) minced green onion
½ tsp (2 ml) toasted sesame seeds, crushed
3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil, divided
¼ small cooking onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp (10 ml) peeled and minced fresh ginger root
2 cups (500 ml) shiitake mushrooms, chopped
½ head small Napa cabbage, shredded
2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
2 tbsp (30 ml) Chinese cooking wine
1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
1 tsp (5 ml) freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame oil
16 x 3-in (8 cm) wonton wrappers
¼ cup (60 ml) water
- In a small bowl, combine DIPPING SAUCE ingredients. Whisk together until blended and set aside.
- To make DUMPLINGS: Heat a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat. Add half the vegetable oil, minced onion, garlic and ginger and sauté until soft.
- Add mushrooms, cabbage, salt and sugar and cook until mushrooms are fully cooked and liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a bowl and mix in Chinese cooking wine, soy sauce, pepper and sesame oil.
- To assemble, place 1 tsp (5 ml) filling in middle of a wonton wrapper. Wet edge of wrapper with a little bit of water. Fold over and crimp edges together to form small pleats to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat. Place dumplings flat-side down in frying pan until golden brown. Add water and immediately cover with lid.
- Cook dumplings for about 6 to 8 minutes over medium heat. Then remove lid and continue cooking until dumplings release from bottom of the pan and bottoms are crisp.
- Serve hot, dipped in Dipping Sauce.