IngredientsServes 6 onigiri
½ oz (15 g) dried kombu seaweed
1 tsp (5 ml) bonito flakes
2 cups (500 ml) water, divided
1 handful (about 3½ oz/100 g) fresh shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) sake
1 tbsp (15 ml) mirin
1 tsp (5 ml) rice vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
½ tsp (2.5 ml) kosher salt
3 cups (750 ml) freshly cooked sushi rice or Japanese short grain rice*
¼ cup (60 ml) furikake ( Japanese rice seasoning)
6 pieces roasted seaweed snacks
- In a small, covered saucepan over low heat, simmer kombu and bonito flakes in 1 cup (250 ml) water until kombu is tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove kombu and set aside. Skim off bonito flakes and discard. Reserve simmering water for next step.
- Julienne prepared kombu and return to water. Add mushrooms, sake, mirin, rice vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Simmer for another 20 to 30 minutes over low heat, until liquid has reduced by about ⅔, then allow to cool. (Or, allow to marinate in refrigerator overnight for even more flavour.)
- In a small bowl, dissolve salt in remaining 1 cup (250 ml) water.
- To assemble, wet hands with prepared salted water, scoop ½ cup (125 ml) rice into one hand and make an indent in middle of rice. Place 2 tsp (10 ml) kombu and mushroom filling in indent, then mould rice around filling. Squeeze it gently into a triangle shape.
- Sprinkle furikake onto a plate. Roll 2 sides of the triangle in furikake. Wrap a piece of seaweed around remaining side. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- * Cook 1½ cups (375 ml) rice according to package directions, then allow to cool enough to handle, but still warm.