ORANGE-THYME SNOWBALLSHow about a Do-It-Yourself gift box? Fill your gift boxes with some homemade delicious treats. It’s a gift you can make, pack, pair and share!
IngredientsServes 24 - 28 cookies
1 cup (250 ml) salted butter, room temperature
5 tbsp (75 ml) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
2 cups (500 ml) pecan pieces
2 cups (500 ml) flour
2 tbsp (30 ml) orange zest, about 2 large oranges
1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh thyme leaves, stems removed
½ cup (125 ml) icing sugar, or more as needed
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to mix butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- In a small food processor, pulse the pecan pieces on high until finely ground.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pecan grounds, flour, orange zest and thyme. Add dry ingredients, 1 cup (250 ml) at a time, to butter mixture. Beat mixture on low until no dry flour remains. Using hands, press dough together to form a ball. Tightly wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 365 F (185 C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll into 1-in (2.5 cm) balls (roughly the size of a golf ball). Place on baking sheet with at least 1-in (2.5 cm) space between. Bake until cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes with a baking sheet underneath to catch excess icing sugar. Holding a mesh sieve over cookies, place ½ cup (125 ml) of icing sugar in sieve. Gently tap side of sieve to dust cookies generously. Repeat with more sugar, if necessary. Store in an airtight container up to 4 days.