PANKO, COCONUT AND MACADAMIA NUT CRUSTED MAHI MAHI WITH PASSION FRUIT SAUCE
PASSION FRUIT SAUCE:
⅔ cup (175 ml) frozen passion fruit pulp, thawed, or pulp from 3 to 4 fresh ripe passion fruits
1 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
¼ cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) finely minced ginger root
CRUSTED MAHI MAHI:
6 x 5 oz (150 g) mahi mahi fillets (or substitute halibut, snapper or other flaky fish)
1 cup (250 ml) pineapple juice
1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, beaten
½ cup (125 ml) Japanese-style panko bread crumbs
⅓ cup (75 ml) unsweetened shredded coconut
¼ cup (60 ml) finely chopped macadamia nuts
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
¼ tsp (1 ml) black pepper
¼ tsp (1 ml) paprika
2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil, plus extra
- If using fresh passion fruit, cut each in half and scrape pulp into a microwavesafe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Strain pulp through a fine-meshed sieve, pressing with a spoon to extract all the pulp and juice from the seeds. Discard seeds and reserve juice.
- Place pulp, lime juice, cider vinegar, sugar, garlic and ginger in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until sauce reduces and thickens. Remove and set aside.
- Place fish fillets in a heavy re-sealable plastic bag along with pineapple juice. Prepare three bowls for coating fish fillets, one with flour, one with beaten eggs and one with a mixture of panko, coconut, macadamia nuts, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Remove fish from pineapple juice and coat each fillet in flour on all sides. Then coat well in eggs. Then transfer and dip into the panko/coconut/nut mixture until thoroughly coated all over.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden brown, and fish is flaky. Remove and repeat with remaining breaded fish, adding extra oil as needed.
- Serve fish immediately, topped with spoonfuls of Passion Fruit Sauce.