PANZANELLA AND TUNA SALAD
5 thick slices rye bread or pumpernickel bread, cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) cubes
3 tbsp + ¼ cup (105 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus extra
6 green onions, roots trimmed
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 bunch fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed
1 lb (500 g) Albacore tuna loin
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh dill
2 tbsp (30 ml) white balsamic vinegar
1½ tbsp (22 ml) grainy mustard
1 tsp (5 ml) maple syrup
1 cup (250 ml) cooked and shelled edamame or fava beans
4 radishes, thinly sliced
1 cup (250 ml) baby arugula
½ medium head radicchio, cut into thick ribbons
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Place a baking sheet in oven to warm while preheating.
- In a large bowl, to make croutons, toss bread cubes with 3 tbsp (45 ml) oil. Scatter in a single layer on warmed baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes, tossing croutons halfway through cooking time. Allow to cool on baking sheet while preparing rest of salad.
- Heat grill or grill pan over mediumhigh heat. Drizzle some oil over green onions and season with salt before grilling until lightly charred, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) pieces. Repeat grilling process with asparagus and cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) pieces. Brush tuna loin with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, searing outside but keeping tuna raw in middle. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, make dressing whisking together ¼ cup (60 ml) oil with dill, vinegar, mustard and maple syrup until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve, toss croutons with 2 tbsp (30 ml) dressing. Add grilled green onions, asparagus, edamame (or fava) beans, radishes, arugula and radicchio and a drizzle of 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 ml) more dressing. Toss gently to combine. Divide salad among serving plates. Slice chilled tuna into ½-in (1.25 cm) slices. Lay a couple of slices on each salad and garnish with an extra drizzle of dressing, if desired. Serve immediately.