Paprika Prawns with Beurre Blanc
IngredientsServes 24 servings
24 prawns, tail on, deveined, washed and dried
1 tbsp (15 ml) paprika, divided
¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil, divided
¼ tsp (1 ml) chili flakes (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
3 tbsp (45 ml) white vinegar, divided
3 tbsp (45 ml) finely chopped shallots
3 tbsp (45 ml) white wine vinegar
¼ cup (60 ml) dry white wine
3 tbsp (45 ml) heavy cream
1 cup (250 ml) butter, cut into 1½ x ¾-in (3.75 x 2 cm) cubes, chilled
1 pinch white pepper (optional)
thyme sprigs, parsley or microgreens, for garnish (optional)
- Spread prawns on a baking sheet lined with paper towel. Sprinkle ½ tbsp (7.5 ml) paprika over prawns.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil over high heat. Evenly spread out 12 prawns (they should not be touching) in pan and fry for about 1 to 2 minutes, until surface is barely translucent. Add half the chili flakes, if using. Sprinkle ¼ tbsp (3.75 ml) paprika over prawns and flip. Fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper, turn off heat and immediately add 1½ tbsp (22 ml) white vinegar carefully, as it can sputter and steam. Lightly toss prawns in pan and transfer to shallow bowl. Carefully wipe out pan with a clean, damp cloth and repeat.
- To make Beurre Blanc, in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring shallot, white wine vinegar and white wine to a gentle boil and reduce to approximately ⅓ of volume, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add cream and whisk lightly until incorporated. Add 2 cubes chilled butter and whisk until melted. Repeat, whisking 2 cubes at a time, until butter is fully incorporated. Remove from heat and season with white pepper, if using.
- Using a chinois or fine mesh sieve, strain Beurre Blanc to remove shallots, and discard shallots. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- To serve, pour desired amount of warm Beurre Blanc into 24 small serving glasses. Skewer prawns on serving picks. Place a prawn into each glass and garnish with thyme, parsley or microgreens, as desired.