Parker House Rolls served with Honey Butter
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
2 cups (500 ml) whole milk, warmed
¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
2 x ¼ oz (7 g) envelopes instant yeast
½ cup plus 3 tbsp (125 + 45 ml) unsalted butter, melted, divided
2 large eggs
6 cups (1.5 L) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 ml) kosher salt
2 tsp (10 ml) flaky sea salt
1 tsp (5 ml) thyme leaves
Honey Butter, recipe follows, to serve
½ cup (125 ml) honey
1 cup (250 ml butter, softened
1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
- In bowl of a stand mixer, combine milk, sugar and yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes, or until yeast has dissolved and is bubbly.
- Add ½ cup (125 ml) butter, eggs, flour and kosher salt. Mix with a dough hook until smooth and elastic, about 3 to 5 minutes. If you do not have a mixer, mix and knead by hand until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a clean bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour, depending on temperature of room. Or, place in refrigerator and let rise overnight.
- Grease a 9 x 11-in (23 x 28 cm) oven-safe casserole or baking dish. Roll dough out to 1-in (2.5 cm) thick and cut into rounds with a 3-in (8 cm) biscuit cutter. Fold each round in half like a taco and stand the “tacos” in casserole, open side facing up. Re-roll and cut excess dough and repeat.
- Cover with a damp towel and let proof until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Transfer rolls to oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked all the way through.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. While rolls are still warm, brush with remaining 3 tbsp (45 ml) melted butter and sprinkle with flaky salt and thyme. Serve with Honey Butter.
- TO MAKE THE HONEY BUTTER: Mix all ingredients together until combined, then transfer to a serving dish. Makes 1½ cups (325 ml)