IngredientsServes 2 to 4
4 cups (1 L) water
2 tsp (10 ml) table salt
2 cups (500 ml) frozen green peas, thawed
4 to 6 yellow, orange and/or purple carrots, peeled, cut into thin spears about 3-in (8 cm) long
Tangy, Creamy Dressing, make ahead, recipe follows
1 cup (250 ml) mayonnaise
3 tbsp (45 ml) ketchup
1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 ml) chili oil, to taste
1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp (1 ml) paprika
1 cup (250 ml) snap peas or English peas in pods
½ cup (125 ml) red and yellow bell peppers, cut into ½-in (1.25 cm) cubes
¼ cup (60 ml) pickled cocktail onions
1 cup (250 ml) pea shoots
Pea Purée, make ahead, recipe follows
¼ cup (60 ml) butter
1 shallot, coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 cups (500 ml) frozen green peas
1 cup (250 ml) clear chicken or vegetable stock
salt and white pepper, to taste
½ cup (125 ml) microgreens
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh mint leaves
- Prepare an ice bath. In a small saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add thawed green peas and cook until peas float to top, about 45 to 60 seconds. Using a sieve, scoop peas from boiling water and immediately shock in ice bath for about 5 minutes. Scoop out peas and set aside. Do not discard boiling water or ice bath.
- In same saucepan, add carrots to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Using a sieve, scoop out carrots and shock in ice bath for 5 to 7 minutes. Strain carrots and set aside. Discard boiling water and ice bath.
- To assemble, spoon 2 to 3 tbsp (30 to 45 ml) Tangy, Creamy Dressing onto plate. Arrange peas, carrots, snap or English peas, peppers and onions over dressing. Top with pea shoots.
- Spoon Pea Purée beside salad or pipe onto serving plate with a piping bag or squeeze bottle as desired. Garnish with microgreens and mint.
- TO MAKE THE TANGY, CREAMY DRESSING: In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together until fully blended. Use immediately or store in an airtight jar and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Makes about 1¼ cups (310 ml)
- TO MAKE THE PEA PURÉE: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallot and garlic and cook until translucent, but not browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add frozen peas and stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside about ¼ cup (60 ml) stock from saucepan. Using a sieve, strain out cooked peas, garlic and shallot, discarding remaining stock in saucepan. Transfer vegetables to a food processor or blender, and blend until smooth and no lumps remain. Add reserved stock, 1 tbsp (15 ml) at a time as needed to blend to desired consistency. Serve warm, or cool to room temperature and use as desired. Any leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat or bring to room temperature before serving. Makes about 2 cups (500 ml)