Peruvian-Inspired Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Aji Verde
IngredientsServes Serves 2 to 3
2 green onions, trimmed and roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves
1 small jalapeño, halved, seeded and sliced, divided
2½ cups (625 ml) packed cilantro leaves, divided
1 cup (250 ml) packed parsley leaves
½ cup (125 ml) packed mint leaves
2 limes, zest and juice
1 cup (250 ml) sour cream
2 tbsp (30 ml) red wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
3 chicken breasts
1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
¼ red onion, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, shredded
½ cup (125 ml) crumbled feta cheese
1 large head butter lettuce
- To make Aji Verde, in a food processor or blender, combine green onions, garlic, half the jalapeño, 2 cups (500 ml) cilantro, parsley, mint, lime zest and juice, sour cream and red wine vinegar. Blend on high until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place chicken in a container with a lid and pour half the Aji Verde over top. Reserve remaining Aji Verde for serving and place in refrigerator. Transfer chicken to refrigerator and marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill chicken for 8 to 10 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches 165 F (74 C). Let rest for 5 minutes, then slice.
- On a serving platter, arrange remaining jalapeño, remaining ½ cup (125 ml) cilantro, red pepper, red onion, carrot and feta. Add whole lettuce leaves along with chicken and remaining Aji Verde.
- To serve, place a mixture of the ingredients, as desired, in a lettuce leaf and drizzle with a spoonful of Aji Verde.