POTATO AND KALE WAFFLES WITH SMOKED SALMON
1½ cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour
¼ cup (60 ml) cornstarch
1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
½ tsp (2 ml) freshly ground pepper
1½ cups + 2 tbsp (405 ml) buttermilk, divided
¼ cup (60 ml) grapeseed oil
2 eggs, separated
1 cup (250 ml) peeled and shredded yellow potatoes
2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped chives
2 cups (500 ml) finely shredded kale
¾ cup (175 ml) crème fraîche
1 tbsp (15 ml) prepared horseradish
12 oz (340 g) smoked salmon
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup (60 ml) capers, drained and rinsed
fresh dill sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat a mini waffle maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and pepper. Make a well in flour mixture and add 1½ cups (375 ml) buttermilk, oil and egg yolks. Whisk mixture together until smooth. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in potatoes, chives and kale.
- Place egg whites in a medium bowl and whisk into stiff peaks. Add egg whites into potato batter and gently fold into mixture until well combined.
- Fill preheated waffle maker with batter, close lid and cook until golden brown and firm, about 5 minutes. Transfer waffle to a wire rack and continue making waffles with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) buttermilk, crème fraîche and horseradish.
- Place waffles on a serving platter and top each with a dollop of horseradish sauce, salmon, onions and capers. Garnish with dill sprigs. Serve immediately.