PUMPKIN AND CORNMEAL BREAD WITH WHISKY-SOAKED CRANBERRIES
IngredientsServes 2 loaves
WHISKY SOAKED CRANBERRIES:
1 cup (250 ml) dried cranberries
½ cup (125 ml) boiling water
2 tbsp (30 ml) whisky
PUMPKIN SEED STREUSEL:
½ cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
¼ cup (60 ml) firmly packed yellow sugar
4 tbsp (60 ml) melted butter
¼ cup (60 ml) pumpkin seeds
PUMPKIN AND CORNMEAL BREAD:
1½ cups (375 ml) firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup (250 ml) vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 x 15 oz (425 ml) can pumpkin purée
3 cups (750 ml) all-purpose flour
½ cup (125 ml) fine yellow cornmeal
1 tsp (5 ml) each ground cloves, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg
½ tsp (2 ml) ground cardamom
1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
1½ tsp (7 ml) vanilla extract
1 cup (250 ml) chopped walnuts (optional)
- To make WHISKY SOAKED CRANBERRIES: Mix together dried cranberries, boiling water and whisky. Allow to soak for up to 1 hour or until softened. Drain well and set cranberries aside.
- To make PUMPKIN SEED STREUSEL: To make streusel, mix together flour, yellow sugar, melted butter and pumpkin seeds until a crumbled texture. Set aside.
- To make PUMPKIN AND CORNMEAL BREAD: Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Butter and flour two 9 x 5-in (2 L) loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat dark sugar and oil until fluffy. Mix in eggs and pumpkin until smooth and well mixed.
- In another large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, spices, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Slowly fold into pumpkin mixture in two additions. Stir in Whisky Soaked Cranberries and walnuts, if using.
- Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Divide streusel and sprinkle on top of each loaf. Bake until a wooden skewer inserted into centre comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking racks 10 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut around edges of loaves and turn out onto racks and cool completely.