Quail Scotch Eggs
12 quail eggs, room temperature
½ cup (125 ml) grainy mustard
¼ cup (60 ml) IPA beer
2 tbsp (30 ml) honey
1 lb (500 g) lean ground pork
½ tsp (2.5 ml) roughly crushed fennel seeds
1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
½ tsp (2.5 ml) pepper
⅓ cup (75 ml) + 1 cup (250 ml) panko bread crumbs, divided
1 large egg white
1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
vegetable oil, for frying
3 cups (750 ml) baby greens
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and have a large bowl of ice water ready. Gently add eggs to boiling water and cook for 3 minutes and 15 seconds. Remove and plunge into ice water to chill. Drain and shell, then place in fresh cold water until needed.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together grainy mustard, beer and honey. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Refrigerate Mustard-Beer Sauce until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl mix together ground pork, crushed fennel seeds, ground coriander, salt, pepper, ⅓ cup (75 ml) panko bread crumbs and egg white until well combined.
- Place a walnut-sized amount of pork mixture in palm of hand and spread into a disk ¼-in (0.5 cm) thick, or large enough to envelop egg. Gently put egg in centre of disk and wrap meat around. Roll gently in cup of hand to make a smooth ball. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat 1-in (2.5 cm) vegetable oil. Meanwhile, take 3 shallow bowls, place flour in first, beaten egg in second bowl and add remaining 1 cup (250 ml) panko bread crumbs to third. Dip each egg in flour, then beaten egg, then bread crumbs.
- Oil is hot enough when a few bread crumbs dropped into oil sizzle. Shallow-fry eggs in batches, turning, until they are pale gold and pork mixture is cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. If Scotch Eggs are browning too fast before pork mixture is cooked, you can bake them in a preheated 350 F (180 C) oven until cooked through, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, create a nest on each serving plate with baby greens. Place 2 Scotch Eggs on baby greens and garnish with a drizzle of Mustard-Beer Sauce. Enjoy while warm.