RASPBERRY CAMPARI FROZEN YOGURT CAKE
IngredientsServes 8 to 10
RASPBERRY CAMPARI FROZEN YOGURT FILLING:
3¾ cups (925 ml) fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
3 cups (750 ml) full fat plain yogurt
1½ cups (375 ml) granulated sugar
2 oz (60 ml) Campari
1 tsp (5 ml) orange zest
1½ tbsp (22 ml) orange juice
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
¾ cup (175 ml) vanilla wafer crumbs
½ cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, melted
WHITE CHOCOLATE CRUNCH TOPPING:
¾ cup (175 ml) chopped white chocolate, about 5 ½ oz (125-150 g)
2 tsp (10 ml) vegetable shortening
1 cup (250 ml) corn flakes
1 cup (250 ml) puffed rice cereal
1 cup (250 ml) raspberries, for garnish
white chocolate curls, for garnish
- To make FROZEN YOGURT: Combine raspberries, yogurt, sugar and Campari in a blender and purée on high speed until smooth. Pour through a fine-meshed sieve into a large mixing bowl, pressing on purée with a ladle or rubber spatula to strain out raspberry seeds. Stir in orange zest, juice and salt. Chill in refrigerator at least 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, line a 12 x 4 x 3-in (30 x 10 x 8 cm) loaf pan with plastic wrap allowing for at least 2-in (5 cm) of overhang on all sides.
- To make CRUST: Stir together wafer crumbs and butter until well combined. Set aside.
- Transfer chilled raspberry yogurt mixture to ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer frozen mixture to prepared pan, smooth the top and freeze for 1 hour. Press crust crumbs evenly over top of frozen yogurt and fold over plastic wrap overhang to cover and seal. Freeze until frozen yogurt is firm, at least 5 hours, preferably overnight.
- Meanwhile, make TOPPING: Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place chocolate and shortening in a medium-sized, heatproof bowl. Warm 1-in (2.5 cm) of water in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Rest heat-proof bowl on lip of saucepan and, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, completely melt chocolate and shortening.
- Remove bowl from heat and stir in corn flakes and puffed rice until evenly coated with chocolate mixture. Spread coated cereal onto paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until chocolate has hardened, about 1 hour. Once firm, break coated cereal into bite-sized pieces and set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- To serve, unmould frozen yogurt cake onto a serving platter and peel off plastic. Garnish with white chocolate crunch topping, whole raspberries and white chocolate curls. Slice and serve frozen.