RED CURRY TURKEY MEATBALL LETTUCE WRAPS
1 lb (500 g) ground turkey thigh meat
2 x 13.6 oz (403 ml) cans coconut milk, divided
¼ cup (60 ml) panko bread crumbs
½ cup (125 ml) chopped onion
8 tsp (40 ml) chopped garlic, divided
8 tsp (40 ml) chopped ginger, divided
3 tbsp (45 ml) fish sauce, divided
1½ tsp + 2 tbsp (7.5 ml + 30 ml) sugar, divided
3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce, divided
1 tsp (5 ml) pepper
2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut oil
6 tbsp (90 ml) red curry paste
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 stalk lemongrass, crushed
3 slices galangal
3 lime leaves
3 Thai red chilies (optional)
½ cup (125 ml) green beans, blanched
1 green onion, julienned and placed in cold water, to curl
3 tbsp (45 ml) fried garlic
1 head green lettuce, leaves separated
½ bunch fresh cilantro
½ bunch fresh mint
½ bunch fresh Thai basil
Pickled Carrots and Radishes, make ahead, recipe follows
4 baby cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise
2 limes, cut into wedges
3 tbsp (45 ml) sambal oelek chili paste, to taste
PICKLED CARROTS AND RADISHES:
1 bunch heirloom carrots, washed and cut in half lengthwise
1 bunch radishes, cut into slices
½ cup (125 ml) rice vinegar
¼ cup (60 ml) white sugar
2 tbsp (30 ml) salt
2 slices ginger
¼ cup (60 ml) water
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a bowl, mix ground turkey, ¼ cup (60 ml) coconut milk, panko, eggs, chopped onion, 2 tsp (10 ml) chopped garlic, 2 tsp (10 ml) chopped ginger, 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce, 1½ tsp (7.5 ml) sugar, 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce and pepper. Roll turkey mixture into 16 balls, about 1 oz (30 g) each and place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Bake meatballs in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until cooked through and juices run clear when pierced. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, heat coconut oil. Add curry paste, chopped shallots, remaining garlic and ginger, cook for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) fish sauce, 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar, remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce, lemongrass, galangal, lime leaves, Thai chilies, if using, and remaining coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove lemongrass, galangal, lime leaves and chilies, discard.
- Pour curry into a serving bowl. Arrange meatballs on sauce and garnish with green beans, green onion and fried garlic. Place bowl on a large serving platter and arrange lettuce, cilantro, mint, Thai basil, Pickled Carrots and Radishes, cucumbers and limes. Assemble lettuce wraps as desired, and serve with sambal oelek.
- To make PICKLED CARROTS AND RADISHES: Place carrots and radishes into a resealable container and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Let pickling liquid cool and pour over vegetables. Refrigerate overnight before using, up to 2 weeks.