Red Velvet StacksHandheld spring desserts to offer at your next picnic or garden party.
5 cups (1.25 L) flour, spooned and levelled
2 tsp (10 ml) salt
3 cups (750 ml) sugar
2 tsp (10 ml) baking soda
¼ cup (60 ml) cocoa powder
2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk
2 cups (500 ml) vegetable oil
4 large eggs, room temperature
4 tsp (20 ml) white vinegar
4 tbsp (60 ml) red food colouring gel
1 tbsp (15 ml) + 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract, divided
2 x 8 oz (500 g) brick cream cheese
¼ cup (60 ml) butter
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
4 cups (1 L) icing sugar
strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease and line 2 rimmed 12‑in x 17-in (30 cm x 43 cm) baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, sugar, baking soda and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, mix buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, white vinegar, red food colouring and 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla extract.
- Sift and fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl to fully incorporate batter.
- Evenly pour batter into prepared baking sheets and bake for about 25 minutes, or until knife inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack. Once cooled, run blunt knife along edges of pan to release cake, if necessary, and invert onto clean surface. Peel and discard parchment lining. Using a 2¼‑in (5.5 cm) round cutter, cut 18 cake circles from each sheet cake and store in airtight container until ready to use.
- In large bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter, 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract and salt until smooth. Mix in 1 cup (250 ml) icing sugar at a time until frosting is fully incorporated and holds together. Transfer frosting to large piping bag fitted with #12 round piping nozzle.
- Pipe ½-in (1.25 cm) frosting mounds around outer edge and centre of 2 cake circles. Place 1 cake circle on top of the other and top with a third circle. Repeat this step to create 12 Red Velvet stacks.
- Decorate the top of each stack with remaining frosting and garnish with strawberries, as desired.