ROASTED ACORN SQUASH SALAD
IngredientsServes 8 to 10
2 medium acorn squash, cut into ½-in (1.25 cm) rings, seeds discarded
2 tbsp (30 ml) grapeseed oil
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup (250 ml) pecans
¼ cup (60 ml) raw pumpkin seeds
3 tbsp (45 ml) honey, divided
1 tbsp (15 ml) coconut sugar
1 pinch cayenne pepper
½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
½ cup (125 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp (45 ml) white balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp (15 ml) unseasoned rice vinegar
3 cups (750 ml) packed baby arugula
3 tbsp (45 ml) pomegranate seeds
2 tbsp (30 ml) mint leaves, torn
2 tbsp (30 ml) flat leaf parsley, torn
- Place 2 rimmed baking trays in oven before preheating to 375 F (190 C).
- In a large bowl, toss together acorn squash, grapeseed oil, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Place squash in a single layer on warmed baking trays and bake, turning once about half way through cooking time, until tender and golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- On another rimmed baking tray place pecans in a single layer and bake in oven for 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with pumpkin seeds, 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey, coconut sugar, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Return pecan mixture to baking tray and return to oven until golden brown and fragrant, about 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegars and remaining honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble salad, make a bed of arugula on a platter. Top with rounds of roasted squash, drizzle with dressing, to taste. Garnish with sweet and spicy pecan mixture, pomegranate seeds, mint and parsley. Serve with extra dressing on side.