ROASTED ASPARAGUS AND STRAWBERRY SALAD
3 x ½-in (1.25 cm) thick slices of pancetta, diced
1 tbsp (15 ml) orange marmalade
2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil, divided
1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
30 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
salt and pepper, to taste
½ lb (250 g) strawberries, trimmed, thinly sliced
4 oz (125 g) crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil and set aside.
- Place pancetta in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until crispy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Don’t clean out frying pan.
- Add marmalade to frying pan and place back over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until marmalade is melted. Add balsamic vinegar and stir to release any brown bits from bottom of pan. Remove from heat and whisk in 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil and tarragon until dressing is emulsified. Thin with a teaspoon of water, if desired. Set aside.
- Spread asparagus in a single layer on prepared baking sheet before drizzling with remaining oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast asparagus until crisp-tender, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Toss strawberries in dressing to coat. Set aside.
- Transfer asparagus to a serving platter. Spoon strawberries over asparagus and drizzle with any remaining dressing. Garnish with pancetta, feta cheese and a good pinch of pepper. Serve while warm.