ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUT SALAD
½ cup (125 ml) wild rice
2 cups (500 ml) vegetable stock or water
2 lbs (1 kg) Brussels sprouts, trimmed
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive or grapeseed oil
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup
1 tbsp (15 ml) hazelnut or almond butter
½ cup (125 ml) pomegranate seeds
½ cup (125 ml) hazelnuts, toasted, chopped
- Arrange oven racks in top and bottom third of oven before preheating to 350 F (180 C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In large saucepan, combine rice and stock over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until some grains start to split, 40 minutes. Drain well and transfer to large bowl.
- Trim Brussels sprouts and separate leaves. Place on prepared baking sheets, drizzle with 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive or grapeseed oil and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheets and season with a light sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bake until crispy and starting to turn golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whisk together lime juice, vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, maple syrup and hazelnut butter until well incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, stir dressing into wild rice before folding in Brussels sprouts leaves. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with pomegranate seeds and hazelnuts. Best served warm or at room temperature.