ROASTED GRAPE AND OLIVE TARTS
IngredientsServes about 30 rectangles
2 cups (500 ml) ricotta cheese
1 large egg
2 tsp (10 ml) lemon zest
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh rosemary, divided
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
all-purpose flour, for dusting
2 x 14 oz (397 g) boxes puff pastry, thawed per package directions
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
2 cups (500 ml) each red grapes and mixed pitted olives
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together ricotta, egg, lemon zest, 1 tsp (5 ml) rosemary, salt and a good pinch of red pepper flakes. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1⁄4-in (0.5 cm) round pastry tip. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Lightly dust work surface with flour .Roll out 1 pastry into a slightly larger 10 x 12-in (25 x 30 cm) rectangle and trim sides to meet dimensions. Cut into fifteen 2 x 4-in (5 x 10 cm) rectangles. Transfer to 1 prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1⁄2-in (1 cm) between each. Freeze for 20 minutes. Repeat rolling, cutting and freezing with remaining pastry.
- Working with 1 baking sheet at a time, score a 1⁄4-in (0.5 cm) border around each rectangle. Prick inside border with fork several times. Pipe half ricotta mixture among puff pastry rectangles, keeping inside border. Bake in preheated oven until pastry is golden brown and puffed, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove rectangles to a wire rack to cool. Repeat step with remaining tray of chilled puff pastry.
- In an 8x8-in (20x20cm) baking dish or cake pan, stir together olive oil, grapes, olives, remaining 2 tsp (10 ml) rosemary, 1⁄4 tsp (1 ml) salt and a good pinch of pepper. Roast in oven, stirring a few times during cooking, until grapes have burst and are wrinkly, 35 to 45 minutes.
- To assemble, divide warm grape and olive mixture over top of ricotta rectangles. Transfer to a serving platter and drizzle with any juices remaining in roasted grape and olive baking dish. Serve immediately.