ROASTED VEGETABLE POT PIE
6 cups (1.5 L) mixed root vegetables (carrot, turnip, parsnip, squash, yam), cut into ½-in (1 cm) cubes
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 sprigs fresh thyme
¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus extra for oiling pan
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
6 tbsp (90 ml) all-purpose flour
2 cups (500 ml) vegetable broth
pinch of grated nutmeg
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 sheet puff pastry
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with 1 tsp (5 ml) cold water
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Place vegetables, onion, garlic and thyme in a large bowl and add 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil. Toss to coat and place on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast until almost tender, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While vegetables are baking, prepare sauce. In a large saucepan, heat 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually add stock and whisk until smooth. Increase heat to medium and simmer, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove pan from heat.
- Oil a 9 x 9-in (23 x 23 cm) square baking pan or other shallow baking dish. Add roasted vegetables to sauce; fold in to combine and pour into pan. Let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, roll out puff pastry to fit pan allowing 1-in (2 cm) to overhang edge of dish for creating a primped decorative edge. Brush edge of dish with beaten egg and lay pastry over top of filling. Crimp edge to seal. Brush pastry with more beaten egg and slash top of pie to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Place pan on baking sheet to catch any drips and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until filling is hot and puff pastry is cooked through and golden-brown.