Savoury Coeur a la creme served with Red Pepper Relish
1 tbsp (15 ml) grapeseed oil
⅓ cup (75 ml) minced shallots
1 large garlic clove, minced
6 oz (170 g) cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup (125 ml) whipping cream
1 tbsp (15 ml) white wine or lemon juice
1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt, divided
⅛ tsp (0.5 ml) ground black pepper
2 red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
1 cup (250 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 tsp (5 ml) crushed pink peppercorns
assorted crackers and fruit, to serve
- Line 4 small coeur à la crème moulds each with a double layer of cheesecloth large enough to leave a 2-in (5 cm) overhang once cheesecloth has been placed in mould. Place moulds on plate or small rimmed baking sheet and set aside. Alternatively, line a 6-in (15 cm) fine mesh sieve with at least a double layer of cheesecloth large enough to extend beyond rim of sieve by at least 2-in (5 cm). Set sieve in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, warm oil over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Place cream cheese in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whip on medium speed until thick and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly pour in whipping cream, mixing until cream is fully incorporated. Add wine or lemon juice, cooled shallot mixture, ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt and pepper. Increase mixer speed to medium-high and whip until mixture is thick, creamy and fully incorporated, about 1 minute
- Spoon cream cheese mixture into prepared moulds or sieve and smooth top(s) with a spatula. Fold cheesecloth overhang over top of cream cheese mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Red Pepper Relish. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together red pepper, onion, sugar, vinegar and remaining ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and consistency resembles a sticky jam, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in pink peppercorns and let cool to room temperature. If making ahead, transfer to an airtight container; it will keep, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.
- When ready to serve, generously spread relish in a circle a little bigger than your Coeur à la crème onto serving plates or a platter. Peel back cheesecloth and invert Coeur à la crème onto relish. Garnish with additional relish, if desired, and serve with a selection of crackers and fruit.