SAVOURY HARISSA- FLAVOURED WAFFLES SERVED WITH TOMATO JAM
IngredientsServes 12 waffles or serves 6
½ tsp (2 ml) each, coriander, caraway and cumin seeds
1½ cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour
½ cup (125 ml) cornstarch
1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
½ tsp (2 ml) baking soda
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
¼ tsp (1 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
1½ cups (375 ml) buttermilk
½ cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
2 large eggs, separated
2 tsp (10 ml) granulated sugar
1 cup (250 ml) crème fraîche or sour cream
fresh mint leaves, for garnish
grilled sausages, to serve (optional)
2 tsp (10 ml) each, cumin, coriander and yellow mustard seeds
1 x 28 oz (796 ml) can diced tomatoes, drained
2 roasted jarred red peppers, seeds scraped, diced
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
2 large garlic cloves, smashed and minced
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) grated ginger root
½ cup (125 ml) light brown sugar
¾ cup (175 ml) white balsamic vinegar
2 tsp (10 ml) tamari sauce
- Preheat oven to 200 F (95 C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine coriander, caraway and cumin seeds in a small, dry frying pan and toast over medium heat until they begin to pop. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and finely crush. Place in a large bowl along with flour, cornstarch, baking powder, soda, salt and red pepper flakes. Stir to evenly blend.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, oil and 2 egg yolks. Whisk to blend.
- In a third bowl, beat 2 egg whites with an electric mixer almost until soft peaks form. Sprinkle with sugar and continue to beat until peaks are firm and glossy. Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients and whisk just until mixed. Drop whipped egg whites in dollops onto batter and gently fold in with a spatula just until combined.
- Preheat hot waffle iron and lightly spray with cooking oil. Pour ¾ cup (175 ml) batter onto hot waffle iron and cook until crisp, about 3 minutes, depending on your waffle iron. Remove and place on parchment- lined baking sheet in oven to keep warm and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve waffles with dollops of Tomato Jam, crème fraîche and fresh mint garnish. Excellent with a serving of grilled sausages on the side.
- To make TOMATO JAM: Combine cumin and coriander seeds in a small, dry frying pan and toast over medium heat until they are aromatic and begin to pop. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and finely crush.
- In a heavy 2 L (8 cups) saucepan, combine crushed, toasted seasonings with tomatoes, roasted peppers, onion, garlic, peppers, ginger, sugar and vinegar. Stir over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and glossy and sugar has dissolved, about 15 minutes. Sterilize three 1-cup (250-ml) jars while cooking jam.
- When jam is thickened as desired, stir in tamari sauce and cook for 1 more minute to evenly disperse. Then ladle into sterilized jars, leaving ½-in (1.25 cm) head space, before tightly sealing. Refrigerate up to a week or freeze. Makes three 1-cup (250-ml) jars