Savoury Scones with Cranberry Cream Cheese
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
½ cup (125 ml) cold salted butter
3 cups (750 ml) flour
1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
3 cups (750 ml) grated white cheddar
1 tsp (5 ml) pepper
1 cup (250 ml) finely chopped chives
2 eggs, divided
½ cup (125 ml) + ¼ cup (60 ml) milk, divided
1 cup (250 ml) cream cheese
½ cup (125 ml) cranberry sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Place butter in freezer.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cheddar, pepper and chives.
- In a small bowl, beat together 1 egg and ½ cup (125 ml) milk.
- Remove butter from freezer and grate pea-size pieces into flour. Mix lightly. Mix in wet ingredients and shape dough to form a ball. Place on a floured surface and roll to 1-in (2.5 cm) thick. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into hearts. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Mix together remaining egg and milk to make egg wash. Brush tops of scones with egg wash. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a food processor, blend cream cheese and cranberry sauce. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve. Pipe onto scones or serve alongside.