SERRANO-TOPPED SCALLOPS WITH GREMOLATA BREAD CRUMBS
3 tbsp (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
¼ cup (60 ml) panko crumbs
3 tbsp (45 ml) finely chopped Italian parsley
½ cup (125 ml) aioli (garlic mayonnaise)
2 tbsp (30 ml) canned or jarred puréed roasted tomatoes
24 large scallops, thoroughly patted dry
3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1 package sliced serrano ham, or 24 thin slices from deli
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and let cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add panko and mix thoroughly. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until panko is golden brown and evenly toasted. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Once cool, add parsley and mix until combined.
- Mix aioli and puréed tomatoes, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Toss scallops with 1 tsp (5 ml) vegetable oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add half the remaining vegetable oil. Add half the scallops and sear for 2 minutes on each side, or just until they are cooked through. Wipe out pan and cook remaining scallops in remaining oil.
- To assemble, place 1 tsp (5 ml) tomato aioli on each scallop. Top with a piece of serrano ham and sprinkle with panko mixture.