SHREDDED POACHED CHICKEN AND SESAME SALAD
IngredientsServes 4 to 6
CHINESE-STYLE POACHED CHICKEN BREASTS:
6 cups (1.5 L) water
2 green onions, trimmed and halved
1 slice ginger
1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
1 whole large chicken breast, bone-in about 1 lb (.5 kg)
3 tbsp (45 ml) olive or grape seed oil
3 tbsp (45 ml) seasoned rice vinegar
1 ½ tsp (7ml) sesame oil
1 ½ tsp (7 ml) sugar
2 tsp (10 ml) light soy sauce
2 tbsp (30 ml) toasted sesame seeds, lightly crushed
½ tsp (2 ml) freshly ground white pepper
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
CHICKEN SESAME SALAD:
12 to 16 square wonton skins, sliced into ½-in (1.25 cm) strips
½ cup (125 ml) canola oil, for frying
6 cups (1.5 L) shredded Chinese (Napa)
cabbage, coarsely shredded, rinsed in ice-cold water and well drained and dried
2 stalks celery, finely sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely julienned
3 green onions, finely sliced
½ small red onion, finely julienned
¼ cup (60 ml) sliced almonds, lightly toasted
1 heaping tbsp (15 ml) toasted sesame seeds
- To make CHINESE-STYLE POACHED CHICKEN BREASTS: In a large stockpot, combine water, green onions, ginger, salt and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Place the chicken breast in pot, breast side up, and cover. Return to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Allow chicken to rest in the stockpot, covered, for another 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken breast from stockpot and drain well. Reserve chicken stock for another use. Allow to cool down enough to handle. Remove skin and pull meat into bite-sized pieces from the bone. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, discarding skin and bones.
- To make SESAME DRESSING: Whisk together ingredients in a small bowl until sugar dissolves.
- To make CHICKEN SESAME SALAD: Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When oil starts to shimmer, fry wonton skins in batches of 5 to 7 strips for 30 seconds each side or until lightly browned, working quickly to avoid burning. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet until cooled. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss together the salad ingredients and the shredded chicken with sesame dressing until well mixed. Add wonton skins and gently toss. Serve immediately.