SLOW-COOKED CHICKEN MOLE
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
2 dried ancho chili or chipotle peppers
2 dried pasilla negro chili peppers
2 large dried mulato chili peppers
8 chicken thighs, skinned, bone-in
3 tomatillos, husks removed, halved
2 whole plum tomatoes, halved
½ firm large plantain or banana, peeled, thickly sliced
1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
⅓ cup (75 ml) whole blanched almonds
¼ cup (60 ml) golden seedless raisins
¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted peanuts, toasted
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp (5 ml) sea salt, plus extra to taste
2 garlic cloves
½ tsp (2 ml) each of allspice berries, coriander seeds, sesame seeds, crushed anise seeds, dried oregano and thyme
¼ tsp (1 ml) black peppercorns
6 whole cloves
3 cups (750 ml) chicken stock
cayenne pepper, optional
1 to 2 oz (30 to 60 g) bittersweet chocolate
2 tsp (10 ml) brown sugar
Grated Cotija cheese
Mexican crema or crème fraîche
- Place all dried chilies left whole into 6 qt (6 L) slow cooker. Place chicken thighs on top, arranging and tucking into a single layer. Add tomatillos, tomatoes, plantain or banana slices, onion, almonds, raisins, peanuts, cinnamon stick, salt, garlic, allspice berries, coriander seeds, sesame seeds, anise, oregano, thyme, peppercorns and cloves.
- In a saucepan, heat chicken stock to boiling and pour over chicken. Cover slow cooker and cook on high for about 4 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken thighs to a heated platter. Cover to keep warm. Using a slotted spoon, scoop remaining slow cooker ingredients into a blender and purée until smooth. Add a little juice from slow cooker if necessary.
- Place a food mill over a large saucepan. Pour puréed mixture into food mill and whirl to strain blended sauce into pan. Add a little more water if thinner sauce desired.
- Stir grated chocolate into sauce in pan and add sugar to taste. Heat through. Sauce should be very smooth. Spoon mole sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with grated cheese and a drizzle of crema.