SMOKED HAM AND RICOTTA TART WITH ZUCCHINI SALAD
1¼ cup (300 ml) all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt, plus extra to taste
½ cup (125 ml) unsalted butter
½ cup (125 ml) finely grated Parmesan
2 tbsp (30 ml) sour cream
1 large egg yolk
1¼ cup (300 ml) ricotta cheese
2 large eggs, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
5 oz (140 g) thinly sliced smoked ham
1 yellow zucchini
1 green zucchini
½ cup (125 ml) fresh chervil
⅓ cup (75 ml) fresh parsley
2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh chives
½ cup (125 ml) shaved ricotta salata
2 tbsp (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Start recipe by making Pastry for tart. Place flour, salt, butter and Parmesan in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Add sour cream and egg yolk before processing until a smooth dough forms. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface, form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Lightly grease a 9-in (23 cm) pie plate with olive oil and set aside.
- Once chilled, roll pastry out on a lightly floured work surface into a 12-in (30 cm) round. Line prepared pie plate with pastry, leaving excess overhanging edges of plate.
- To make FILIING: In another bowl, with a wooden spoon, stir together ricotta, 1 egg, garlic and a good pinch of salt and pepper until well combined.
- Lay ham in pastry shell and top with ricotta mixture. Fold in overhanging pastry over filling. Pastry will overlap itself at intervals.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining whole egg and brush over pastry crust. Bake tart until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- While tart is baking, prepare ZUCCHINI SALAD to be served alongside tart. Thinly slice yellow and green zucchini lengthwise with a vegetable peeler to create long ribbons. Add to a large bowl and gently toss along with parsley, chervil, chives, ricotta salata, olive oil and juice from 4 or 5 lemon wedges. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve slices of ricotta tart warm with Zucchini Salad on top.