Smoked Salmon & Cucumber Salad with Sriracha Aioli
IngredientsServes 3 to 4
Sriracha Aioli, make ahead, recipe follows
4 oz (125 ml) cream cheese, softened
2 garlic cloves, chopped
¼ cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
1 tbsp (15 ml) sriracha
salt and pepper, to taste
2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced lengthwise into strips
7 oz (200 g) thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into roughly 4-in (10 cm) strips
½ cup (125 ml) Pickled Onions, make ahead, recipe follows
½ cup (125 ml) lukewarm water
2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) table salt
½ cup (125 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 ml) capers, to taste
¼ cup (60 ml) fresh dill leaves
½ cup (125 ml) curly endive leaves
- TO MAKE SRIRACHA AIOLI: Using a hand blender or food processor, blend all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately or store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Makes about ¾ cup (175 ml)
- Spoon 2 tbsp (30 ml) Sriracha Aioli onto each serving plate. Roll cucumber into curls and arrange over aioli.
- Make smoked salmon rosettes by stacking roughly 3 to 4 smoked salmon strips on top of each other, about ½-in (1.25 cm) askew. Roll from one end to the other. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut rolled salmon in half. Placing cut edge on plate, lightly flare out top edges of rolled salmon halves into rosettes. Place as desired around cucumber curls.
- Top with Pickled Onions and capers to taste, then garnish with dill and curly endive as desired.
- TO MAKE PICKLED ONIONS: In a large non-reactive bowl, stir together water, sugar, salt and vinegar until sugar is dissolved. Add onion and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Will keep in refrigerator in an airtight non-reactive container for up to 1 week. Makes about 1 cup (250 ml)
- Using a piping bag or squeeze bottle, pipe remaining Sriracha Aioli around salad to decorate.