Spaghetti and Salmon Meatballs in Red Pepper SauceWith colder weather rolling in, autumn meals should be both warm and filling, a requirement met by meatballs.
1 lb (500 g) salmon, skin removed, cut into chunks
2 shallots, chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tbsp (15 ml) dried Italian herb blend
2 tbsp (30 ml) mayonnaise
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg
¾ cup (175 ml) panko bread crumbs
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups (500 ml) jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
½ cup (125 ml) whipping cream
¼ cup (60 ml) white wine
¾ lb (340 g) spaghetti
½ cup (125 ml) chopped flat leaf parsley
1 cup (250 ml) pitted green olives, sliced in half if large
Parmesan, for serving
- To make salmon meatballs, preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- In a food processor bowl, place salmon and shallots and process until salmon is finely chopped. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add butter, Italian herb blend, mayonnaise, garlic, egg, panko crumbs and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until well combined. Form into balls, about 1½ tbsp (22 ml) in size, and place on prepared baking tray. Bake, turning halfway through cooking time, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil to cook pasta.
- Rinse red bell peppers well under cold water. Roughly chop and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and celery with a good seasoning of salt and pepper until softened, about 4 minutes. Add red peppers and continue to sauté until peppers are warmed through, about 1 minute. Transfer warm vegetable mixture to a blender along with whipping cream and wine. Blend until a smooth sauce is achieved. Return sauce to frying pan over medium heat. Bring sauce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Add salmon meatballs to sauce and gently stir to coat. Drain pasta, add to sauce and gently toss to coat.
- To serve, divide pasta and salmon meatballs among 4 warm pasta bowls. Serve topped with a sprinkle of chopped parsley, green olives and some shaved Parmesan, if desired.