SPIRALLED YAM PASTA WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE AND PARMESAN CRISPS
IngredientsServes 4 to 6
2 medium yams, cleaned and peeled
1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp (5 ml) sea salt
¼ cup (60 ml) butter
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
2 lbs (1 kg) sliced mushrooms, any variety
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped fresh oregano
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup (250 ml) whipping cream
2 tbsp (30 ml) grated Parmesan
6 tbsp (90 ml) grated Parmesan
2 tsp (10 ml) fresh oregano, finely chopped
- Using a spiralizer blade for spaghetti, spiralize yams until there are 6 cups (1.5 L). Any remaining noodles can be stored in refrigerator for later use.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat oil and add yam noodles. Cook until tender, gently tossing occasionally, about 5 to 7 minutes. Toss with Mushroom Sauce, garnish with Parmesan Crisps and serve.
- To make MUSHROOM SAUCE: In a medium frying pan over medium heat, melt butter with oil. Add mushrooms, garlic and oregano and sauté until mushrooms are browned and tender. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly pour in whipping cream and reduce until thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in Parmesan and remove from heat.
- Store sauce in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Before using, reheat in a saucepan over low heat. Makes 2 cups (500 ml)
- To make PARMESAN CRISPS: Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place Parmesan in 6 small piles. Put a little oregano on each one. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes, until melted, then remove from oven. Cheese will crisp as it cools. Makes 6 crisps