Steelhead Trout served with Caper Olive TapenadeLight and fresh Easter.
½ cup (125 ml) chopped Castelvetrano* olives
1 tsp (5 ml) caper liquid
¼ cup (60 ml) chopped capers
½ cup (125 ml) chopped parsley
½ cup (125 ml) chopped cilantro
1 lemon, zest only
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
3 tbsp (45 ml) + ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil, divided
1 tsp (5 ml) honey
salt and pepper, to taste
1.5 lbs to 2 lbs (750 g to 1 kg) whole steelhead trout fillet
seasonal vegetables, for garnish
- To make caper olive tapenade, in a small mixing bowl, add olives, caper liquid, capers, parsley, lemon zest, garlic, red wine vinegar, 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine and set tapenade aside.
- Preheat oven to 300 F (150 C).
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, place trout skin-side down. Coat with remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until internal temperature of 120 F to 125 F (49 C to 52 C) for medium rare and 130 F (54 C) for well done.
- Serve on a platter with seasonal vegetables, for garnish and olive tapenade alongside.
- * Substitute with Manzanilla olives or other, as desired.