STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
3 eggs, divided
3 tbsp (45 ml) vinegar
6 tbsp (90 ml) water, divided
4 cups (1 L) pastry flour or all-purpose
flour, plus more for dusting
½ tsp (2 ml) salt, divided
1¼ cups + 2 tbsp (310 ml + 30 ml) sugar, divided
½ lb + 3 tbsp (250 g + 45 ml) butter, chilled, divided
½ lb (250 g) vegetable shortening or margarine, chilled, cut into 1-in x ½-in (2.5 cm x 1.25 cm) squares
3½ cups (875 ml) strawberries, halved
3½ cups (875 ml) chopped rhubarb (1-in (2.5 cm) chunks)
1 lemon, zest only
1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
⅓ cup (75 ml) minute tapioca
- In a cup, lightly whisk 2 eggs, vinegar and 3 tbsp (45 ml) water. Cover and place in freezer for about 20 minutes while making pastry.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt and 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar. Invert contents on clean countertop. Cut ½ lb (250 g) chilled butter into 1-in x ½-in (2.5 cm x 1.25 cm) squares and scatter evenly over flour mixture along with chilled shortening squares. Using pastry cutter or blunt knife, cut butter and shortening into flour until mixture resembles dry oatmeal. Create a well in middle of flour mixture and slowly pour in chilled egg mixture, a little at a time, and incorporate flour. Form dough into a ball using fingertips, keeping dough as cool as possible by trying not to use palms of hands. If sticky, dust tiny amounts of flour. Divide into 3 equal portions, cover with plastic wrap and let rest in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425 F (220 C).
- In a large bowl, mix together strawberries, rhubarb, 1¼ cup (310 ml) sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt and tapioca. Let rest for about 15 minutes.
- Remove 2 portions of chilled dough and place on a clean, lightly dusted countertop for about 10 minutes. Roll 1 portion into a round circle to cover base and sides of 9-in (23 cm) pie plate with a 1-in (2.5 cm) overhang. Using a fork, poke holes on bottom and sides of pie shell. Stir strawberry rhubarb mixture and pour into prepared pie shell. Cut 3 tbsp (60 ml) chilled butter into ½-in (1.25 cm) cubes and scatter evenly over filling.
- Prepare egg wash by lightly whisking 1 egg and 3 tbsp (45 ml) water together. Lightly brush egg wash along rim of pie shell.
- On a clean, well-floured surface, roll second portion of pie crust to about ¼-in (0.5 cm) thickness. Cut into strips and weave over pie into lattice, as desired. Press edges firmly together to form a seam. Leaving 1-in (2.5 cm) rim along circumference of pie, cut excess pastry away. Roll trimmed rim under seam to form a neat border. Lightly brush surface with egg wash.
- On a clean, well-floured surface, roll third portion of pie crust to about ¼-in (0.5 cm) thickness and cut out leaves or flowers and decorate over lattice as desired. Brush lightly with egg wash. Discard any remaining egg wash.
- Bake on bottom rack of oven for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F (180 C) and bake for another 50 to 60 minutes until surface is golden brown in colour. Remove from oven and let rest for at least 4 hours before serving.