STUFFED TURKEY BREAST ROLL SERVED WITH POMEGRANATE CRANBERRY SAUCE AND PUMPKIN SAGE BISCUITS
IngredientsServes 6 to 8
3 cups (750 ml) Focaccia bread, torn into bite-size pieces
¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 celery stalks, diced
1 large apple, diced
2 tbsp (30 ml) minced mixed fresh herbs, such as sage, thyme and savory
salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups (750 ml) chicken stock, plus more if needed
½ cup (125 ml) apple juice or cider
3 to 4 lb (1.5 to 2 kg) boneless, turkey breast, butterflied and pounded to ½-in (1.25 cm) thickness
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
Pomegranate Cranberry Sauce, to serve
Pumpkin Sage Biscuits, to serve, make ahead
POMEGRANATE CRANBERRY SAUCE:
1 x 14 oz (398 ml) can whole berry cranberry sauce
2 pomegranates, seeds only
PUMPKIN SAGE BISCUITS:
1 large egg
¾ cup (175 ml) canned pumpkin purée
1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk, plus extra
3 cups (750 ml) all-purpose flour, plus extra
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
½ cup (125 ml) cold butter
2 small sage leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- On a baking sheet, place Focaccia bread pieces and bake for 10 minutes, to dry out.
- In a medium frying pan over medium heat, melt butter then add olive oil. Add onion, celery and apples and sauté until translucent. Add fresh herbs and salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl and let stand until cool enough to touch. Add bread, stock and apple juice and mix by hand. Set aside.
- Place turkey breast on a flat surface and cover with 2 to 3 cups (500 to 750 ml) of stuffing leaving a 1-in (2.5 cm) border of turkey on all sides. Starting at long end, roll turkey into a long cylinder (start at end with less skin so that skin will end up mostly on outside of roll). Tie roll with kitchen string with about 1½-in (3.75 cm) between each knot, trim strings.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, place turkey roll (seam side down) on sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake for 1 to 1½ hours, until internal temperature is 155 F (310 C). Place any extra stuffing into a small baking dish and bake alongside turkey roll for final 30 to 40 minutes, if desired. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with Pomegranate Cranberry Sauce and Pumpkin Sage Biscuits, as well as other desired sides.
- To make POMEGRANATE CRANBERRY SAUCE: In a bowl, mix ingredients together and let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Makes about 2 cups (500 ml)
- To make PUMPKIN SAGE BISCUITS: Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg, pumpkin purée and buttermilk, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Grate butter over dry ingredients, tossing to coat, and make a well in middle. Pour wet ingredients into well, add sage leaves and mix lightly until combined to form a loose dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured countertop, knead lightly a couple of times just to bring it all together so that it is roughly 2-in (5 cm) high and smooth on top. Cut out biscuits in 2-in (5 cm) rounds and place on baking sheet. Brush tops with buttermilk. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Makes 12 biscuits