SUGAR TART WITH CRANBERRIES
IngredientsServes 8 to 10
1½ cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour
3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
⅓ cup + 2 tbsp (105 ml) chilled vegetable shortening
⅓ cup (75 ml) chilled butter
6 tbsp (90 ml) ice water
3 large eggs
½ cup (125 ml) brown sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
1 tbsp (15 ml) all-purpose flour
½ cup (125 ml) whipping cream
¼ tsp (1 ml) almond extract
3 tbsp (45 ml) unsalted butter, melted
2 cups (500 ml) fresh cranberries, about 10 oz (284 g)
icing sugar, to dust top of tart
sweetened, whipped cream, to serve
- To make CRUST: Place all ingredients, except water, into food processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse sand. Slowly add water and process until it starts to bind together. Remove and shape into a flattened round disc and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper into a 12-in (30 cm) round. Carefully peel off top layer of parchment and invert dough onto a 9-in (23 cm) fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Peel off parchment and gently press dough into pan. Trim dough flush with rim by rolling a rolling pin over tart pan. Lightly patch any cracks with dough trimmings. Refrigerate tart shell until firm, about 30 minutes or freeze for 10 to 15 minutes. Reserve any excess dough, roll out and cut into stars or holly leaf shapes. Place tart pan on a baking sheet and set aside.
- To make FILLING: Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with brown sugar until well mixed. Beat in maple syrup and flour. Whisk in cream, almond extract and melted butter. Pour and spread filling over tart crust, then spread cranberries over filling.
- Top with arranged pastry stars or holly leaves and bake tart in lower third of oven until filling is jiggly but set and pastry is golden brown, about 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer the tart in the pan to a rack to cool completely, at least 2 hours. Before serving, dust with icing sugar and serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream. Best served at room temperature.