Sugared Rhubarb Brioche Tart
IngredientsServes one 10-in (25 cm) tart
2¼ cups (560 ml) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
2 tsp (10 ml) instant dry yeast
2 tsp (10 ml) finely grated lemon zest
2 tsp (10 ml) finely grated orange zest
½ tsp (2.5 ml) fine sea salt
⅓ cup (75 ml) whole milk or buttermilk
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
¼ cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
½ cup (125 ml) salted butter, softened, cut into small pieces
⅔ cup (150 ml) crème fraîche
1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
finely grated zest of 1 orange
2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
3 to 4 stalks fresh rhubarb, (generous 2¼ cups (about 560 ml) total), sliced into ⅓-in (0.8 cm) pieces
2 tbsp (30 ml) very cold butter
icing sugar, for dusting
- To make Dough, in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment, combine flour, sugar, yeast, zests and salt. In a small bowl, combine milk, egg, egg yolk and orange juice. With mixer on medium-low, add egg mixture and mix to combine, then increase speed to medium and gradually add butter, mixing to form a soft dough. Continue mixing for 4 to 5 minutes, or until smooth and glossy. Butter inside of a large bowl and transfer Dough to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Butter bottom and sides of a 10-in (25 cm) fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Turn Dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 12-in (30 cm) round. Transfer Dough to pan and press it into bottom and up grooved edges of pan. Using a fork, prick base and sides of Dough about 8 to 10 times all over.
- To make Rhubarb Topping, spread crème fraîche over Dough base. In a small bowl, combine sugar and orange zest. Stir with a fork, mashing sugar and zest together to release orange oils. Add vanilla and mix well. Sprinkle half the sugar mixture over crème fraîche. In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb and remaining sugar, tossing to coat rhubarb. Scatter rhubarb evenly over tart base and coarsely grate cold butter over top with a box grater.
- Transfer tart pan to a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Decrease heat to 350 F (180 C) and bake until golden brown, another 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
- To serve, remove tart from pan and slide off metal base. Dust with icing sugar, cut into wedges and serve. Wrap any leftover tart well and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat at 375 F (190 C) for 10 minutes before serving, if desired.