SWEET POTATO TURNOVERS
IngredientsServes about 18 turnovers
½ lb (250 g) unpeeled sweet potatoes
½ lb (250 ml) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into fine ¼-in (0.5 cm) dice
2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar, plus extra for dusting
⅓ cup (75 ml) whole blanched almonds, ground in food processor
½ tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
½ tsp (2 ml) ground ginger
¼ cup (60 ml) finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 pkg (or 2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
all-purpose flour, for rolling
1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork. Bake in oven until tender and fully cooked, about 40 to 55 minutes, depending on size. Cool to touch. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh into a large bowl. Mash with potato masher or fork. Mix in apples, sugar, almonds, cinnamon, ground ginger and chopped ginger. Set aside.
- Lightly dust a large cutting board with flour. Roll out 1 of the pastry sheets to ⅛-in (3 cm) thickness. Cut out circles using a 3½-in (8.75 cm) cookie cutter, making as many circles from the dough as possible.
- Place a heaping tbsp (15 ml) of the filling on each circle. Brush bottom edge of pastry lightly with egg wash, then fold circles in half to form a half moon. Press the edges together with a fork to seal and arrange on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling, collecting scraps of dough and rolling out. Brush tops of turnover with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake on prepared baking sheets until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Best served warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.