TERIYAKI SALMON BURGERS
4 x 6 oz (180 g) salmon fillets (check for any remaining bones)
1 tbsp (15 ml) kosher salt
1 tbsp (15 ml) brown sugar
1 cup (250 ml) teriyaki sauce
½ tsp (2.5 ml) toasted sesame oil
3 tbsp (45 ml) miso
½ cup (125 ml) mayonnaise
2 tsp (10 ml) grated ginger
½ pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1½-in (3.75 cm) slices
3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil, divided
1 tsp (5 ml) toasted sesame seeds
¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
4 lettuce leaves
4 Hawaiian sweet rolls or soft burger buns
- Sprinkle salmon fillets with salt and sugar. Place on a plate or tray and refrigerate for 20 minutes to quick cure. After 20 minutes, rinse off salt and sugar completely, then dry salmon with paper towels.
- While salmon is curing, heat teriyaki sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat until reduced by half.
- To make miso mayonnaise, in a small bowl, mix sesame oil, miso, mayonnaise and ginger and set aside.
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high and grease grills with 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil. Rub remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil on pineapple and salmon.
- Grill salmon for 3 to 4 minutes each side, or until desired doneness, brushing with teriyaki sauce. Grill pineapple for 3 minutes each side. Remove salmon and pineapple from barbecue once done. While salmon and pineapple are cooking, heat buns on top rack of barbecue.
- To assemble burgers, spread miso mayonnaise on both sides of each bun. Place a piece of salmon on bottoms of each bun. Drizzle salmon with remaining teriyaki sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Top each burger with a pineapple slice, red onion, lettuce and bun top.