TWICE-BAKED CITRUS ALMOND BRIOCHE SERVED WITH CITRUS SALAD
1¼ cups (310 ml) sliced almonds, divided
½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar, divided
½ tsp (2 ml) salt
1 large egg
¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ tsp (1 ml) almond extract
1 tbsp (15 ml) orange zest
½ cup (125 ml) Champagne
1 tbsp (15 ml) grapeseed oil
6 slices brioche bread, each about ¾-in (2 cm) thick
1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice
1 red grapefruit
1 pink or white grapefruit
½ cup (125 ml) pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- In bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade attachment, pulse together ½ cup (125 ml) almonds, ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar and salt until finely ground. Add egg, butter and almond extract and process to form a paste.
- In small saucepan, bring orange zest, Champagne and remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In small bowl, stir together olive oil and remaining ¾ cup (175 ml) almonds.
- Arrange bread in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush each slice generously with Champagne syrup until very moist, then spread with about 2 tbsp (30 ml) of almond paste in an even layer. Top with almond mixture.
- Bake until brioche toasts are caramelized on edges and almonds are golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- While brioche bakes, prepare Citrus Salad. In a small bowl, whisk together honey and lime juice. Cut away peel and pith of grapefruits, oranges and clementine before slicing into rounds. Arrange citrus rounds on a plate or platter. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and drizzle with honey mixture. Let aside for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm Citrus-Almond brioche with citrus salad and an additional drizzle of any leftover Champagne syrup, if desired.