VEGETABLE CARPACCIO WITH BURRATA
2 medium yellow beets
2 medium zucchinis
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) capers
4 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil, divided
1 small baguette, sliced
8 oz (250 g) burrata cheese
1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Wrap beets in foil and roast for about 90 minutes, or until fork-tender (will vary depending on size). Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high. Slice zucchini diagonally into ½-in (1.25 cm) rounds and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grease barbecue, then grill zucchini for 6 to 8 minutes per side with the lid closed, until cooked through but not soggy. Remove from grill and set aside to cool.
- In a small skillet, heat sunflower oil over medium-high heat. Pat capers dry with paper towel and fry for 5 to 8 minutes, or until they begin to open up like flowers. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel-lined plate, set aside.
- Brush 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil onto the baguette slices. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Peel cooled beets, then slice into rounds. On a platter, layer beets and zucchini. Place burrata on top, dress with remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil, balsamic and fried capers and season with salt and pepper to taste. To serve, spread burrata onto grilled baguette slices and top with vegetables.