VEGETABLE MEDLEY POLENTA PIE
3½ cups (875 ml) vegetable stock
1 cup (250 ml) polenta
2 cups (500 ml) almonds, shelled
¾ cup (175 ml) water
5 garlic cloves, roasted
2 tbsp (30 ml) nutritional yeast.
salt and pepper, to taste
1 large zucchini
1 large sweet potato
1 small eggplant
thyme leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Line a 9-in (2.5 L ) springform cake pan with parchment paper, including sides. Spray with non-stick spray and set aside. Repeat with a cookie sheet.
- In a medium saucepan, over high heat, bring vegetable stock to boil. Whisk in polenta, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes, until thick. Pour just enough into cake pan to cover bottom (a little less than half ). Pour remaining polenta onto cookie sheet and spread with a spatula. Refrigerate both for 30 minutes.
- In a high-speed blender, add almonds, water, garlic and nutritional yeast. Blend on high, scraping down sides. If still too thick, add a little more water, to form a smooth, ricotta-like texture.
- Remove polenta from refrigerator. Cut two 2-in (5 cm) wide long strips of polenta from the cookie sheet. Place these along sides of cake pan to form the “crust,” making sure there are no gaps at base. Pour almond “ricotta” into base of pan and spread evenly. Return to refrigerator while preparing vegetables.
- Slice all vegetables into ⅛-in (0.25 cm) rounds. Sprinkle zucchini and eggplant with a little salt and let sit for 5 minutes. Pat dry using a paper towel. Assemble vegetables, either overlapping horizontally or vertically, on top of almond “ricotta.”
- Bake for 45 minutes, until vegetables are fork-tender. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves and serve