VIETNAMESE PORK MEATBALL BANH MI
IngredientsServes 6 or makes about 30 meatballs
PICKLED CARROTS AND DAIKON:
2 cups (500 ml) each peeled and coarsely grated carrots and daikon radish
¼ cup (60 ml) unseasoned rice vinegar
¼ cup (60 ml) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) coarse kosher salt
1½ lbs (750 g) lean ground pork
½ cup (125 ml) finely chopped yellow onion
⅓ cup (75 ml) finely chopped water chestnuts
3 tbsp (45 ml) each finely chopped cilantro and green onion
½ tsp (2 ml) white pepper
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
2 tsp (10 ml) granulated sugar
1½ tbsp (22 ml) cornstarch
2 tsp (10 ml) toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
1½ tbsp (22 ml) Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1 large egg
1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil, plus extra if needed
HOT CHILI MAYO:
⅔ cup (150 ml) mayonnaise
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) hot chili sauce such as Sriracha
6 Vietnamese buns or substitute Portuguese, torpedo or soft baguettes
jalapeño slices and cilantro, for garnish
- To make PICKLED CARROTS AND DAIKON: Toss ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Let sit at least 1 hour, tossing occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheatovento300F(150C). To make PORK MEATBALLS: In a large bowl combine pork, onion, water chestnuts, cilantro and green onion. In a smaller bowl whisk together pepper, salt, sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine and egg. Pour over meat mixture and mix well to blend.
- With damp hands, form meatballs into Ping-Pong-sized meatballs, about 2 tbsp (30 ml) each. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and set aside.
- To make HOT CHILI MAYO: Mix together mayonnaise, chopped green onions and hot chili sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Inalargenon-stickfryingpan,heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs, avoiding crowding, and sauté until brown and cooked through, 15 minutes. Turn meatballs often, reducing heat if browning too quickly. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in preheated oven. Repeat with remaining meatballs, adding more oil if necessary.
- To assemble, cut each bun in half. Pull out enough bread from each half to leave 1⁄2-in (0.5 cm) thick shell. Spread Hot Chili Mayo over each bread shell. Arrange jalapeños, then cilantro in bottom halves. Fill each with 4 to 6 meatballs. Drain pickled vegetables; place on top of meatballs. Press on baguette tops.