WARM PRAWN AND ESCAROLE SALAD
1 cup (250 ml) quinoa
2 cups (500 ml) water
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter
1 tbsp (15 ml) grapeseed oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp (10 ml) fish sauce
8 radishes, trimmed and cut into thin wedges
1¼ lbs (625 g) large prawns, peeled and deveined
1 large head escarole, torn into large pieces, about 10 cups (2.5 L)
3 tbsp (45 ml) grated Parmesan, divided
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- Place quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and rinse well under cold water for a couple of minutes, agitating seeds with your hands.
- In a medium saucepan over mediumhigh heat, stir together quinoa, water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil before turning heat to medium-low, covering and letting quinoa simmer until all water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter with oil, then add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, but not brown, about 30 seconds. Stir in fish sauce.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add radishes and prawns. Sauté until radishes are crisp-tender and prawns are almost cooked through, about 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in half of escarole and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute. Add remaining escarole and toss until beginning to wilt, about another minute. Remove pan from heat and add in 1½ tbsp (22 ml) Parmesan and lemon juice. Toss until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide quinoa among serving plates and top with Warm Prawn and Escarole Salad. Garnish with a sprinkle of remaining Parmesan cheese, black pepper and a lemon wedge.